Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City seeks a knowledgeable and dynamic individual and an enthusiastic fundraiser—who thrives on building & stewarding relationships and inspiring generosity—to serve as its Planned Giving & Major Gifts Officer.
Reporting to the Vice President & COO, this individual will develop, implement and oversee a strategy to grow planned and legacy gifts to the Jewish Federation, including annual campaign endowments as well as planned gifts for the Chesed Fund, the PJ Library Endowment Fund, the Sasone fund and the Guardian Society.
This individual will work in direct partnership with the COO, the campaign director and the financial resource development team, as well as community volunteers, to identify, cultivate and solicit major donor/planned gift prospects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a strategy and tactics (such as written/digital communications, 1:1 meetings, parlor meetings and events) to support new planned & legacy gift commitments as well as the stewardship and growth of existing planned & legacy gift commitments
- Develop and implement an operating plan and calendar, including specific, measurable and timely goals with quarterly reporting
- Identify a group of lay leaders in the community who are ready, willing and able to assist Jewish Federation in our planned/legacy giving efforts; recruit and secure commitments for specific involvement by presenting a written description of roles
- Work with volunteers, Federation marketing department and outside advisors to effectively market planned/legacy giving opportunities
- Work in close partnership with the Jewish Community Foundation leadership for identification of prospects for planned giving, cultivation of planned gifts, advice on planned giving vehicles and stewardship of planned & legacy benefactors
- Manage and grow a portfolio of 50 key planned/legacy gift prospects, including board members and National Young Leadership Cabinet members
- Create at least 25 individual benefactor plans and work with benefactors to identify and confirm both cash and planned gifts that are in line with their passions and involvement
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of major benefactors, including seeking/closing $10,000+ gifts of all types to the Jewish Federation
- Collaborate with the FRD team to support the overall success of FRD and the coordination of integrated asks
- Log all meaningful interactions and notes in CRM system to demonstrate progress towards goals and track collaborations with other FRD staff; collaborate with database administrator to generate reports in order to evaluate strategy/tactic effectiveness
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with community leaders, including the identification and implementation of collaborative fundraising efforts serving Federation and its partner agencies
Required Experience, Skills, Abilities & Characteristics:
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising/philanthropy or planned/legacy giving (including financial/estate planning)
- Demonstrated success in major gifts fundraising & stewardship, or key client account supervision/management
- Strong skills in donor development, cultivation and direct solicitation
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships that result in financial and leadership commitments
- Ability to articulate a clear vision
- Strong emotional intelligence, communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to adapt communication style to interact with various constituencies and audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated understanding of volunteer/professional dynamics
- High integrity and capacity to manage and organize information confidentially
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Flexibility to work evenings and occasional weekend meetings/events
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in related field preferred
Experience with and knowledge about charitable gift planning and philanthropic vehicles
Demonstrated creativity and innovation
Interest in/knowledge of the Jewish community, customs, values and traditions
Understanding of, appreciation and passion for the mission of Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City
Send resume and cover letter to Derek Gale, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City
Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City is the heart of the Kansas City Jewish community. We build community by bringing people together, strengthening Jewish identity, developing leaders and inspiring generosity in order to fulfill our mission of sustaining and enhancing Jewish life at home and around the world. We ensure a healthy, vibrant Jewish community now and into the future.
Our annual campaign raises more than $5.2 million from approximately 1,300 donors. We provide program funding to 16 local agency partners and 18 partners in Israel or overseas, as well as allocations to 7 national partner organizations.